Peregrinos

Monday, August 29, 2011

I forgot how hard this is

Well, yesterday we walked from 7:00 a.m. til 3:p,m., out of Cizur Menor and into Puente La Reina.  We started through fields which slowly turned into a fairly steep incline and then a harder and rockier incline.  Reaching the top, we saw the pilgrim sculpture you see at the beginning of this blog, pictures that my sister took in 2008.  Good thing because there was a Mass then with at least 150 people there and us.  We stayed only a few minutes, and began the steep, rocky slope down.  I had forgotten how hard that was.  and how long.  I was praying to keep standing.  A fall would put me down like a turtle on its back.  walked and walked.  12 miles.  Finally got to our albergue which was on the other side of town.  The very smart thing we did was to have the backpacks transported to the albergue.  There they sat, waiting for us.  Today was to be an easy day.  only 9 miles.  but it was up many slopes of at least 45´I was standing at an angle trying to rest.  Crossed an old Roman bridge across the Roman road and up some more.  We are in a quaint Medeival town called Lorca in a wonderful albergue. My second toe has a bruise already from rubbing against the big toe.  But we´ll march on.  Tomorrow we wiill walk only 6 miles and take a bus to Los Arcos.  There is only 1 albergue and no potable water for 22 km.  The other albeergue is closed.   It was the one I had worked in 2006.  My hips are fine.  It is everything else that hurts.    

No comments:

Post a Comment